Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Testing

Testing and Test Results

The final solution is meant to function as an informative and interesting publication for MAST. It is expected to include photographs from every aspect of life at MAST in order to give viewers a feeling of the school. The website should portray what MAST truly is, and although it is near impossible to put that into words it should come across through the photographs. To test if the website fulfills these expectations the entire student body and faculty will be asked to fill out a survey that is included in the website.
The final product is a multi-page website which will be up for public view (on campus only) temporarily and includes slideshows of the hundreds of photographs chosen to represent each aspect of the school.
[Screenshots of final solution: Homepage, Category, Subcategory]

Preliminary and continuous testing:
Throughout the work on this project there was a continuous testing going on. As I wrote the coding for the site I would view it on Internet Explorer after each change. By doing this I tested how it looked, if it worked, if my coding was correct and if the page looked how I expected it to. Along these same lines, I would view the photos on my camera as I took them to check my lighting and settings. These constant tests enabled me to fix mistakes during construction and make sure that everything I did was working correctly and coming out well.
Final testing:
[Contact Page w/ Testing Form]
The final testing of this website will be done though a survey that is part of the site; this can be seen in the above image. It will be sent to everybody at school (nobody out of school because the website will only be accessible on the server on campus), they will be asked to view the site and fill out the survey. The following steps will be followed for this procedure:
Send link of website to the entire school and faculty
Receive completed surveys
Assess results (to make sure they were taken seriously and completely)
Record results in spreadsheet in order to analyze them
Through this process I will be testing my website on fulfilling the criteria I set forth at the beginning of this year. This will be done with the following questions:
How enjoyable was this website?
How organized and easily navigated was this website?
Did you acquire a feeling of MAST?
Did you learn about life at MAST?
Did the website display a wide range of photos?
Of what quality were the photos?
Did the website have a professional appearance?
Was the website easily accessible?
Each of these questions will be answered on a scale of 1-5 (1 being the lowest and 5 being the highest). Along with these questions is a space to put your name (optional) and a space for additional comments (optional).

An example of a student’s survey response is as follows:
Name (optional): Brian How enjoyable was this website? 4How organized and easily navigable was this website? 4Did you acquire a feeling of MAST? 4Did you learn about life at MAST? 5Did the photographs cover a wide range of aspects of MAST? 5Of what quality were the photos? 4Did the website have a professional appearance? 5Was the website easily accessed? 5Any additional comments, questions or suggestions. Great pictures! I'm a freshman and I'm basically a walking camera. This has inspired me to take even more pictures while I'm out here!

This person answered each question, included their name and even gave some additional comments. The rest of the results followed the same example, although some chose not to comment or include their name.


1
2
3
4
5
Avg.
Enjoyable
0
1
1
10
25
4.6
Organized and Navigable
0
1
5
5
26
4.5
Feeling of MAST
0
1
4
8
23
4.35
Life at MAST
0
3
5
9
18
4.32
Wide range of photographs
1
0
3
7
24
4.51
Quality of photographs
0
0
3
8
24
4.6
Professional Appearance
0
0
2
7
26
4.6
Easily Accessed
0
1
2
3
29
4.71

From these testing results we can see what around 35 students and faculty thought of my website (a few didn’t answer some questions making certain ones have less results). On average my testing went very well, the numbers were pretty high which tells me that those who viewed the site thought that it was good. The website rating a 4.6 for how enjoyable it is shows that it is interesting to view and not so difficult to do so that it detracts from the level of enjoyment viewers get out of it. The level of organization and navigability is also high, the website is painstakingly organized which I believe shows in how easy it is to navigate. Multiple comments asked for a way to return back to the category pages from the slideshows instead of having to use the back button, this is why there were a few lower scores here. This was a problem that I could not fix because the coding for the slideshows does not allow links that I knew of. The scores for the next two questions (feeling of MAST and learning about life at MAST) were a bit lower. I know that this is what I deserved; I did not fulfill my expectations to cover every single event at school or cover a large range of grade activities, club activities, etc. This is for various reasons, but I take full responsibility for missing the events that I did miss and if I had more time to work on this I would cover as many more as I could. Although I am missing a lot, I still show a huge range of photographs resulting in a higher score for my range. My averages for quality of photos and professional appearance of the site are very high. This is due to the fact that my photos are very good and also the work that I put into making the site look as professional as possible instead of simple and amateur. The only surprise in my testing is that I received the highest rating for the easy access of my site. Because the school server that my website is hosted on can only be viewed in school and it is unable to handle many viewers at once a lot of people had issues viewing the site. It seems as though that was only a problem in certain rooms though.

No comments: